Sunday 22 January 2012

Twitching the time away

I had to get back on this blog today. Firstly, I've been following the amazing Kit Berry as she returned to her Blog Moongazy Girl which I've really enjoyed reading. Also today was the first day I've been out birdwatching since my dad became ill at new year.

I'm really lucky to have two wonderful, nature loving parents. As kids we always went off on holidays around the UK and Dad always had a pair of 'bins' around his neck. We were taught to walk quietly around the woods otherwise we wouldn't see anything - certainly a challenge for 3 young girls who liked to chat! But we loved it all the same. Mum and Dad joined the Wildlife Trusts of Warwickshire and Worcestershire last year and in the autumn I started to go with them on a Sunday morning. I've also been sketching some of the birds to get to know them (more of this next time).

Sadly, Dad had a heart attack on 2nd January and had to have a stent put in (like Prince Philip!) It's knocked his confidence and he's been at home trying not to over exert himself ever since. So today's twitching was a real boon for him. We only stayed in one hide and were back for lunch. The Goddess was with us I think as the sun shone down and we saw the following:

5 bullfinches, 12+ green finches, reed bunting, dunnock, great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, robins, moorhen, coots, great crested grebes, curlew, cormorants, grey lag geese, black headed gulls, mute swan and 2 heron! We also got an amazing sight of a greater spotted woodpecker on a feeder.

I hadn't been in a while and had to get back into my bird guide to locate them all. It got me thinking about how sometimes it's the easy option to sit at home on the sofa. Dad has a good excuse but some evenings and weekends I do find myself sitting on the sofa with the TV or laptop for company. I know it makes me lethargic and it creates a bit of a vicious cycle as I talk myself into being too tired, or too cold or mostly that I've been out all week at work and I need some time at home.

It really has been such a lovely morning and good 'soul food.' I feel like sometimes I miss out on life in the big outdoors. Hopefully, this is something I can change as Imbolc approaches!


2 comments:

  1. how lovely for you to get out with your dad again :)

    reading this reminded me my dad had the same operation about the same time! he had a heart attack a long time ago and had surgery but was never well enough for them to finish it. the change in him since the stent is amazing so lets hope both our dads continue to flourish! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.... i'm sure your dad's confidence will grow as the days lengthen & he gets a bit of distance from the heart attack... especialy when he's got you encouraging him! It is lovely to get out there isn't it!

    ReplyDelete